Monday, December 20, 2004

OK - disregard what I was trying to do in my post yesterday --->

I have been trying to determine the best method for managing settings in a
DotNetNuke module. I have DAL that breaks from the abstracted DNN DAL so that I
can use my
LLBLGen classes (I suppose I
could use those through the normal provider model, but it was just easier and I
have deadlines :-)... I only have to code agaist SQL Server anyway - so not a
big deal).

DNN provides methods from the ModuleController to set custom
settings per module - which can then be read from a hash Settings("whatever").
Very handy for setting view types, etc.. but in hoping to provide a little more
functionality, I laid out a Setting and SettingOption table which I was
considering using for internal settings... However, after getting into it a
little bit, I am considering using it just to retrieve the available settings,
and then actually storing the setting values in the standard DNN hash...


I decided that the better route was to just use the settings hash and the modulecontroller to maintain my settings. Then I just update my settings and clsPublic ( a custom class I made to handle communications between pages and some common functions) with new default settings and allow my EditSettings control to view and bind all these on the fly... Then I will be sure to look to a single place for my settings instead of three potential tables... I will have to republish in order to add new settings and their defaults now, but that's worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home